Inmarsat was set up in 1979 by the International Maritime Organization (IMO) to enable ships to stay in constant touch with shore or to call for help in an emergency, no matter how far out to sea.
Today our customers are found in many different sectors – but they are typically businesses and organisations that need to communicate where terrestrial telecom networks are unreliable or simply cannot reach.
Five market-facing business units
Our global sales and marketing activities are operated through five market-facing business units:
- Inmarsat Maritime, focusing on worldwide commercial maritime opportunities
- Inmarsat U.S. Government, focusing on US government opportunities, both military and civil
- Inmarsat Global Government, focusing on worldwide (i.e. non-US) civil and military government opportunities
- Inmarsat Enterprise, focusing on worldwide enterprise, energy, media and M2M opportunities.
- Inmarsat Aviation, focusing on in-flight voice, data, safety services and cabin connectivity, for both business and commercial air transport.